Saturday, December 19, 2009

NASPE Content Standards – A physically educated person:


1. Demonstrates competency in motor skills and movement patterns needed to perform a variety of physical activities.
     While completing my various activity course I have improved many of my motor skills that will help me when I become a Physical Educator so my students can learn easier and more efficiently if I am skilled and can properly demonstrate these skills. This semester I was able to score a 8/10 qualitative score on my forearm pass and serve.  On my set and attacking hit I was able to score a 9/10.  From the beginning of the semester I had improved on three of the four areas while remaining constant on the last.   

    
2. Demonstrates understanding of movement concepts, principles, strategies and tactics as they apply to the learning and performance of physical activities.
      During my physical education days as student in elementary or high school I had little experience with track and field.  However, I did well in track and field where displayed my ability to throw discuss, shot-put, proper sprinting and long jump form, as well as other various skills such as the hurdles and baton relay.  There were only two topics I did not receive a ten out of ten.  Hurdles I had difficulty with and recorded an 8, while in long jump I had a 9. 
 
3. Participates regularly in physical activity.
     I have always been a very active individual from a young age.  This has not stopped as I have aged.  I continue to play soccer and golf from the spring to late fall days with friends or alone.  In the winter I am a snowboard instructor at Labrador Mountain.  During the summer I work at the Cortland Youth Bureau working with children 7-14.  Keeping up with the children and all of their activities can be exhausting but very rewarding.  I also enjoy other activities such as basketball, tennis, and racquetball.   Fortunately most of these activities are ones I can continue late into life, and I plan to do just that. 

4. Achieves and maintains a health-enhancing level of physical fitness.

     When in top shape for soccer I could run 2 miles in 12 minutes.  Even when not in peak performance I can run one mile in a relatively good time around seven minutes as I did for my PED 182 Health related fitness class.  I also finished second out of about 14 students when we did our pacer test.  In addition my BMI is around 22.

5. Exhibits responsible personal and social behavior that respects self and others in physical activity settings.
     I have always been a caring individual who respects others and obeys class rules.  I do not make fun of others by laughing at them when they are unable to perform a task.  After all we are all skilled in different areas.  Just because someone is unable to perform a task correctly does not mean they are unable to all skills poorly.  A student may not be able to make 7 out of 10 free throws, but they are great at dribbling and passing.  All that maters is everybody attempts everything to their best of their ability. 

6. Values physical activity for health, enjoyment, challenge, self-expression, and/or social interaction
            I consider myself an active healthy individual who enjoys staying in shape.  Not only does physical activity make me feel and look better it provides an opportunity to challenge myself to do better.  In addition team sports help create strong social interaction with others.  I have been playing soccer since I was young and have been a part of various teams of different ages, areas, and skill levels.  It has helped me become a better person and learn form my mistakes and mistakes of others. 


I continue to build and expand on all six standards as I continue my voyage on becoming a Physical Educator.  I love sports and being active and I hope I can spread the joy to my students when I become a teacher. 


No comments:

Post a Comment